NATO calls for immediate release of Turks in Iraq
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has called for the immediate release of Turkish diplomatic and security staff held by rebels in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul.
Fighters from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) kidnapped 49 Turks, including special forces soldiers, diplomats and children, from the Turkish consulate on Wednesday as they overran Mosul.
"We follow the dangerous developments in Iraq with great concern. I condemn the unacceptable attack on the consulate general in Mosul," Rasmussen said during a visit to Ankara, standing beside Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
"We want to see all of the Turkish hostages released and we want to see them safe," he said.
Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan has said the hostages are unharmed and that all efforts are being made to secure their release, as well as a second group of 31 Turkish truck drivers also captured by ISIL last week.